Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Smitten: Oh What A Feeling!

The Smitten Top is now finished and this makes me want to do a happy dance on the ceiling or I would do it on the streets but I'm pretty sure my neighbors would call the police. I started Smitten during the last week in January which was a project my dear quilt friend, Carol, was working on and thought I would join her in this unofficial QAL, as a show of support and I sort of owe it to her since I involved her in a not-so-fun Block of a Month Quilt several years earlier which neither one of us ever finished.
The Smitten pattern was designed by Lucy Carson Kingwell, who is the daughter of Jen Kingwell and I can say the apple did not fall far from the tree when it comes to quilt designs which are made up of a gazillion patches. I've already made two Jen Kingwell patterns (Gypsy Wife and Flutterby) so I knew what I was getting myself into and I think I now deserve to go easy for the rest of the year.  
I've posted ten times on the progress of making of the Smitten blocks, what TV shows I was watching and if I were still friends with Carol.  All of the blocks were finally finished in mid-August and after a short hiatus, I started assembling the top on September 25th which I am amazed that I finished this in around a week. I was so not looking forward to sewing these blocks together, it wasn't hard just a little cumbersome at times.  The last block was sewn while watching the final episode of Season 4 of Blue Blood and I've alluded in my earlier posts that Smitten and watching Tom Selleck seem to go together for me.

 This is the ugly side of paper piecing and it took me at least five hours to remove all of the paper pieces and threads.  This definitely was my least favorite part of the Smitten project.  My dear friend, Dee, offered to remove them if I would help her paint one of her walls in her sewing room which was tempting but she lives over three hundred miles away.
The Smitten quilt measures 48" x 61" and is destined to be a wallhanging. After all of the handpiecing which went into this project, there is no way this quilt will ever lay around my house.  I've been looking at the other finished Smitten quilts on Pinterest and it seems that here and there hand-quilting with embroidery thread is the way to sew.  I plan to baste this the top this weekend so I'll be ready to do some hand-quilting; I still have several seasons left of Blue Blood to watch and there's new Fall TV shows.
Now that I am finished with this unofficial QAL, I am ready to join Myra of Busy Hands Quilts, Splash of Color QAL (you can read about it here) which started on September 20th.  This week, participants are posting their pattern choice as well as their fabric selection.  I'm excited to join this QAL because I'll be making a pattern of my own choice, Wonky Tessellating Pinwheels which I've never made before, the blocks can be die-cut while watching TV and all of my fabric is from my stash, a definite plus for my Minus 100 Yard Challenge.  Be sure to check the Splash of Color QAL and join the group if you can.  I am looking forward to doing a relaxing project.

In September, I was the lucky recipient of two giveaways of patterns and fabrics; one from Sarah Zimmerman of Cedarfork Blogspot (on the left side) and the other one on the right is from participating in the Bloggers Quilt Festival Fall 2017 which was hosted by Amy's Creative Side and the prize, a 24 fat quarter bundle of Riley Blake Garnet and three patterns, is from Nancy Zieman/Wisconsin Quilt Expo which I received today.
Fortunately the fabric winnings do not count towards my Minus 100 Yard Challenge.  I finally can post an up-to-date total which shows I'm heading towards my goal with some completed projects, and fabric donations and gifts given.

Minus 100 Yard Challenge
Previous Total:         59.5 yards             YTD Total:  84.625 yards

My YTD Total could have been a little higher since I purchased some fabric I needed from my Kaffe Fassett Workshop I'm attending this week but I'm heeding to some of the comments left on my previous post that required fabric needed for a workshop or class should not count.  It never hurts to follow good advice.

Linking up with:

Quilting is More Fun than Housework: Oh Scrap
My Quilt Infatuation: Needle and Thread Thursday http://www.myquiltinfatuation.com
Crazy Mom Quilts: Finish It Up Friday
Confessions of a Fabric Addict:  Can I Get A Whoop Whoop?
Busy Hands Quilts:  Finish Or Not Friday

40 comments :

  1. Rose, I can certainly see why you're smitten, it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paige. It's always a great feeling to finish a top especially a Kingwell pattern.

      Delete
  2. A lovely quilt! So much love & time has gone into this, and I've enjoyed following along reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda for following me on this journey. Still a little ways to go but at least I'm reached a marker.

      Delete
  3. What a great finish Rose! It definitely deserves to be hand quilted. Congratulations on not one, but two great wins! I look forward to seeing your Splash of Colour quilt come together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suz! Now to decide on what type of batting to use for hand quilting. Any suggestions?

      Delete
  4. Using your stash and multitasking....great combo for a QAL! Excited to see your quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannon! All of the pieces have been die-cut and I'm ready to start sewing. This is going to be a fun QAL.

      Delete
  5. I love it, Rose! I think it's worthy of a dance, on the ceiling, outside, whatever! Can't wait to see your Splash of Color quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in awe! That is amazing! The whole thing is paper pieced? Wow. It looks bigger than it is :D The colors are fantastic, and I can't wait to see it finished! You're right, something like this can never just lie around the house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz. When I was sewing the blocks together, it did seem much larger and I surprised to find that it wasn't 8ft square--just felt like it.

      Delete
  7. Wow, what a quilt!!! Masterpiece. Absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is gorgeous! I would hang it on my wall too. Have fun quilting it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jasmine! It's been awhile since I've hand quilted a quilt so hopefully all will go well.

      Delete
  9. Your quilt takes my breath away! Seeing the back of it-wow! Such a lot of work and knowing you’re going to hand quilt it to boot, yes destined for the wall is a good plan. It can be better admired there as well. Congrats on your two wins! I love how many times I giggled while reading this post -thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra! I'm just glad this project is at least a top for now, definitely a big finish for me.

      Delete
  10. Oh my how I love this quilt! These are not even my colors, but I simply adore it! I have a travel bag of ongoing hexagon projects. I hate to be caught empty handed when waiting for someone or something. I use a heavy card stock and punch the center out so the papers come out easily. I'm not sure it would work on some of the Smitten shapes, but it comes in mighty handy when removing all those papers. I don't have to snip any threads and I just pull out the paper with tweezers. I am so glad you decided to follow Carol's lead and I'm sure she is proud of your finish as well. I can't believe you are only 15 yards away from your 100 goal! Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy. Would you believe I have another hexagon project I take when I need something for a road trip, etc. After doing Smitten, sewing these blocks are going to be a lot easier. There's still more than 3 months left in the year and I did buy some more Kaffe fabric which wasn't part of the workshop but I still have to watch my goal.

      Delete
  11. I couldn't believe my eyes when I read your Smitten quilt is 48 x 61". Huh, it looks complicated enough to be a bed size. Oh my, you are amazing for finishing that quilt top, for sure. Excited to see you joining in the Splash of Color QAL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Myra, I was surprised too that Smitten didn't turned out to be 8ft square. Finishing just the top was a big accomplishment for me. I'm ready to start sewing my Splash of Color QAL blocks now.

      Delete
  12. This is incredible!! I have had this pattern and the acrylic templates and paper pieces in my cart forever but have yet to take the plunge. Your quilt is gorgeous! How incredible to be at this point in the making process!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannon. If I could make this top, you can too. I love simple patterns and this was a little bit out of my comfort zone. It took me nine months to get to this stage and glad to be at this point. There were some parts of the project I enjoyed doing and some not as much but in the end I love the top. I can't wait to read on your blog when you start your Smitten quilt, it's just one block at a time.

      Delete
  13. This quilt has taken a lot of work and time, but wowziers! It is beautiful!! It is going to be even more stunning once you are finished quilting it. Thank goodness for binge watching tv shows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tish. Thanks goodness for TV shows--it makes the sewing go along much nicer. I'm so glad I'm at this point of the project and there's one less project bin sitting in my dining room now.

      Delete
  14. Rose, That quilt is fantastic! I'll be joining you in the Splash of Color quilt along. This will be a first quilt along for me, and I love the flexibility of the rules. I'm looking forward to seeing your quilt come together. Happy sewing! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea! I hope you enjoy the QAL; they're fun and I like the idea of getting to choose your own pattern. I can't wait to see your quilt too.

      Delete
  15. So love the look of paper piecing but I don't think I have the patience for it. I salivate over Gypsy Wife but I think that would end my quilting career.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tami! It's been two years since I finished my version of Gypsy Wife and I still get dizzy when I see a Jen Kingwell pattern.

      Delete
  16. That is just gorgeous! Fun colors and a unique layout! Sounds like a fun project to do with a friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diann! I think the only way I made Smitten was because my friend was making it--otherwise this would not have been on my radar. At least, Carol and I are now even on the QAL front.

      Delete
  17. Rose, that is absolutely gorgeous. I am smitten just looking at it. So much love and care went into each block, it is amazing. Do not worry about the neighbors. I am dancing with you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Rose, that finish is beautiful. Smitten is a perfect name. I can't believe all those papers that need to be taken off. I haven't done more than one block of paper piecing and can't imagine all those papers. But then you spend that time with Tom and Blue Bloods and you pull those papers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan! You do have to be Smitten with the pattern and paper piecing to make this quilt but in my case I think I was just being a good quilt friend to do this project with Carol. And yes, taking out the paper pieces at the end was torture and thank goodness for Tom Selleck to help me get through it.

      Delete
  19. Rose, congratulations on finishing your Smitten top! I can't believe how quickly this came together. Working on the same project with a friend is a great way to stay motivated....glad you and Carol are still friends...haha!

    ReplyDelete
  20. An absolutely beautiful version of the smitten quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  21. A beautiful quilt Rose! I snickered when I read your comment about apples, trees and a gazillion pieces. I must start taking more note of the TV I'm watching while quilting too! Loved the post - put a smile on my face!

    ReplyDelete
  22. How very beautiful your Smitten Quilt turned out! I am working on one now through Stitchin' Heaven so they pick the fabrics each month to try to replicate the feel of Lucy Carson Kingwell's design. I am hand piecing mine while I did consider doing it EPP like you did since I already had the template set she used on her cover version. I found your image when I was looking at how others' quilts turned out and wanted to comment---all these years later!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments but due to traveling and my ineptitude with typing on either my iPhone or iPad, my response may be somewhat delayed. Thank You for your understanding.